Sangria NOLA Style
Ingredients: 2 750ml bottles red wine (Rioja, Merlot, Shiraz), 2 cups water, 2 cups sugar (raw), 2 star anise (optional), 4 navel oranges, 5 lemons, 5 limes, 3 (1 liter) bottles of citrus flavored sparkling water, 4 oz orange liqueur. For an extra kick add one cup of cognac or rum (NOLA Rum is perfect) or both.
- Prepare simple syrup by mixing water, raw sugar, and star anise in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly.
- Once the sugar is dissolved remove from heat and let cool. Remove anise pods.
- Juice the oranges, 4 lemons, and 4 limes (saving 1 lemon and 1 lime for garnish).
- In a punchbowl add the two bottles of wine, simple syrup, orange/lemon/lime juice, orange liqueur, and citrus sparkling water.
- Add the garnish slices of the last lemon and lime to the bowl and let sit overnight.
*For a real NOLA experience, place fruit (orange, apple, pineapple chunks, etc) in the bottom of your guests’ cups. Add ice and fill cup with sangria.
NOLA Red Wine Toddy
3 cups red wine
1/4 oz. whole cloves
1/2 oz. ginger
1/2 orange peel
Simmer all ingredients for 10 minutes. Strain and serve in a glass coffee cup.