Orange peels, vinegar, water, and salt (optional) make an excellent cleaner for the home. Using this simple, natural, DIY cleanser recipe you can eliminate toxin-filled retail cleansers from your pantry.You can clean your counters, stove, sinks, and floors with this! No more worrying about breathing in fumes (or your kids breathing in fumes and touching the toxic residue) when the label warns to “use in a well ventilated area”.
- Store your orange peels (in the freezer a little at a time if you like). When you have enough, put them in a glass jar.
- Optional step to increase potency: Sprinkle salt (any kind) on the orange peels. This will pull out the oils and make your cleanser stronger. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Fill the jar up with vinegar and let it sit for 10-14 days (or longer if you forget its waiting for you).
- During this time take a photo, bask in the Martha-like glory of DIY house cleanser.
- After 14 days strain the liquid.
- Put peels in the garbage…um, composter. (Hey, I’m a work in progress!)
- Mix water with the vinegar to a ratio of 2:1 or to a ratio where you like the smell (sometimes it’s very vinegary smelling at 1:1, other times it’s too orange-y at 2:1, so depending on your personal preference and desired strength).
- Use and enjoy. Put in a spray bottle for counters, or another jar for multiple-use. *Feel free to add a drop or three of essential oil for a personalized fragrance 🙂
- How to Be Green While You Clean (prettyopinionated.com)